VOLUNTEER WITH FRANK THEATRE.
Frank Theatre would not have survived for all these years had it not been for the enthusiasm and generosity of our volunteers. Volunteering with Frank is a great way to become involved with the arts community, get some hands-on experience in a theatre, or just to hang out with the wonderful folks at Frank. Listed below are our volunteer needs and a brief description of the duties involved. If you are interested in spending some time with us, just click on a link and it will lead you to our volunteer form! If you have any questions, or any skills that you would like to share with us, please call us at 612-724-3760. For general volunteer inquiries, click here for our volunteer form!
Set Design and Construction (registration form)
This work requires physical activity, willingness to get down and dirty, but also a chance to learn about creating a set, set design, and other technical skills. Hours vary, and increase in the two weeks before a show opens. Volunteers generally report to the Set Designer.
- Set Construction including carpentry and painting. Volunteers report to the Set Designer and respond to his or her particular needs.
- Audience Riser Construction and painting
- Various artistic projects as the set demands
- Assisting the Set Designer with the implementation of the set and the design
- Creating Lobby displays, constructing lobby art and helping to construct the box office area and lighting when necessary
- Loading in and out construction materials, tools, (oh, sometimes trash) and risers
College Students working in Theatre or Set Design
Those interested in the Technical Side of Theatre, Art, or just making stuff
Groups looking for volunteer opportunities
People with a lot of muscle and grit!
Ushers (registration form)
This work requires minimal physical activity and reports to the house manager or box office manager. This is a great chance to see theatre FREE and to help out a small theatre. Performances are in the evenings, except for our Sunday matinees, and volunteers are expected to be there an hour prior to performance. Ushers generally work 3-4 hour shifts.
- Assist front of house staff in cleaning the audience risers and preparing the front of house for the public
- Collating and distributing programs
- Collecting ticket stubs and greeting theatre goers
- Assisting the box office intern with the sales of concessions and/or where needed
- Assisting patrons with any immediate needs (i.e. directions to the bathroom!)
High school Theatre Students
People with more limited physical capabilities
Low Income Theatre Goers
Anyone and Everyone
Front of House Manager (registration form)
This position requires a commitment for all performances for the run of the production. Frank productions generally run Thursday-Saturday evenings with Sunday matinee performances, typically for four weeks (15-16 performances). Great for an out-going personality interested in theatre management or even stage management. Front of House Manager reports to the Box Office Manager.
- Overseeing and supervising the volunteer ushers, assigning tasks and responding to volunteer need.
- Acting as a liaison between the Stage Manger and the Box Office Manager in order to communicate front of house needs and box office needs
- Keeping a close watch on the house count and assisting any patrons who have special needs prior to or during the performance.
- Working with the Box Office Intern to coordinate concession sales and any communication between the box office intern and the Box Office Manager.
- Maintaining the cleanliness and safety of the front of house.
- Flexibility and a really good sense of humor
Someone looking for a great way to invest some volunteer time in a specific time frame
Retirees who want to volunteer in the arts
College Students interested in Theatre Administration
Recent grads with non-profit work experience
Avid Frank lovers willing to commit time to the production process
Box Office Intern (registration form)
This is a great volunteer opportunity for someone interested in theatre, as well as sales or customer service. The Box Office Intern is required to be present for the run of the production and generally reports to the theatre an hour and a half before curtain. The Box Office Intern reports directly to the Box Office Manager.
- Setting up the concessions area prior to each performance. This includes making coffee, laying out all food items and preparing other Frank paraphernalia for sale!
- Box Office Intern is responsible for keeping track of all sales, managing their own bank and reconciling sales at the end of the evening.
- Oversees all sales and assists patrons when necessary.
- Supervises the concessions area at all times, and conducts sales at intermission.
- Communicates with the Box Office Manager when necessary and works closely with the Front of House Manager to ensure a quality experience for all patrons.
Persons interested in sales or marketing
People who enjoy interacting with the theatre public
High school students who need to fulfill a community service need
Pre-Production Marketing Assistance (registration form)
This work involves use of a car, minimal physical activity but an active mind. Hours vary and can be flexible. Volunteers report to the Administrative Assistant or to the marketing committee.
- Assist with all production related mailings and production related materials (i.e. postcards, website updates, school mailings, press mailings)
- Assist with the distribution of marketing materials including postering neighborhoods, theatres, coffee shops etc.
- Brainstorming better ways to reach out to and expand the Frank Theatre base
- Outreach to certain communities based on the production (i.e. with Women of Troy we reached out to veteran groups, Greek scholars, anti-war activists, students etc.)
- Help secure and then track all press related to the production
People interested in neighborhood involvement
Administrative Assistance (registration form)
Great for someone with previous office experience. Hours are flexible but would be only during the daytime. Office assistants would report directly to the Frank Administrative Assistant or to the Artistic Director.
- Extensive Database work (help with updating mailing list, cleaning up existing categories, entering any mass addresses etc.)
- Assist with volunteer phoning and other calls that need to be made
- Make copies of scripts for readings
- Help with preparing bulk mailings
- Periodic light cleaning
People with Office Skills
Folks between jobs
People who really love Frank
ADVISORY ROLES (roles)
Frank Theatre also offers the opportunity to become involved with the theatre in an advisory role. Frank's various boards are made up of committed professionals and artists whose volunteer service helps to shape the direction of the theatre.